Burao Youth Multi-purpose Centre (BYMC) is a youth recreation center that was established in 2002 but The Youth Centre was successfully operating from the year 2005 under the management of Somaliland Youth Society (SYS) operating in earthen regions of Somaliland.
Funded by the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) implemented by candlelight for the construction of the Centre, Equipped by UNICEF handed over to SYS for the purpose of development and rehabilitating of youth in Burao Togdheer, Before the war, the center was a huge Orphanage structure that was home to many needy and homeless children from the region and its surroundings.
As a product of all civil wars was destroyed including educational institutions, sports infrastructure as well as all government establishments. As a result of these destructions Youth in Somaliland were lost without Youth Centers, clubs for integration and communication as well as education centers, and Burao Youth were not an exception.
Hence some of the Youth joined clan-based conflicts becoming underage soldiers joining gangsters and drug .dealers and addicts among others. To overcome that challenges SYS realized to maintain this Youth Centre to restore matter of lost youth ambitions to the bright future and created a vision of the future young leaders
Although the core of the center was large and specially designed to provide essential and educational programs for the youth currently only the following services are provided:
- Recreation and Sports activities: A Volleyball and Basketball games, Indoor body exercise, entertainment of table tennis and indoor games.
- Education development: skill training and Non-formal education (NFE) to the sustainable livelihood and improved access to decent work in urban areas
- Youth empowerment and friendly activities through entrepreneurship and employment opportunities
- Implementation of HIV/AIDS and FGM awareness rising on cross-cutting issues
- Providing information communication technologies (ICT) skills for the youth in IDPs
- Youth and psychosocial counseling
- Child and protection programs